Friday 25 April 2014

V is for Vivaldi


We've got this far through the alphabet and this is the first time I've touched on classical music, which is probably a realistic reflection of my musical tastes. "I don't know much about classical music, but I know what I like."

Nearly 30 years ago I was admitted to hospital having been diagnosed with cancer. I was about to be operated on and, to be honest, I was pretty scared. Luckily for me, my oldest daughter had lent me her personal tape player - nothing as swanky as a Sony Walkman, but it did the job - and I had been given a tape of Vivaldi's Four Seasons. The music transported me away from the hospital ward.

It is a beautiful piece of music and suffers a bit these days for being so well known and so popular. It nearly breaks my heart every time I hear it used as "hold music" when I'm on the phone to some big corporation.

Ideally, I'd post the whole of the Four Seasons for you to enjoy, but it's quite a long work, certainly compared to most pop songs. Instead, and trying to think laterally, I'm going to post Silver Star by the Four Seasons. I know...some people think I just chuck this stuff out, but there's real thought goes in to it sometimes. While nothing like the Vivaldi, the song does have some joyous harmonies in it which should lift the spirits.


Also-rans: If further cheering-up is needed, try Village People's YMCA. It reminds of events such as wedding discos when everyone's had a few drinks and loses their inhibitions enough to just get out on the dance floor and have fun. Very important.

7 comments:

  1. I do love Vivaldi's "Four Seasons" and like you I discovered it years ago, when I was in college. I have done performance art to Spring and it was a wonderful experience to move to that music. I also used classical music in a hospital setting. I gave birth listening to the Brandenburg Concertos by Bach. I am sorry to hear that you suffered with cancer but glad you discovered the joy in Vivaldi's work to carry you through to wellbeing. I am stopping by from the A to Z challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And there was me with a fiver at William Hill that one of your Vs would be Van der Graaf Generator...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry your five went down the Swannee. Van der Graaf Generator just remind me of physics lessons.

      Delete
  3. So sorry for your cancer battle, but it's inspiring to see you kicked it in the butt and kept going! And, yes, just listening to classical music can put someone at peace. In fact, I believe it's been recommended for those dealing with the stress of traffic...it tends to calm people down and reduce road rage incidents!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have read that playing classical music in public spaces such as train stations deters vandals.

      Delete
  4. I love that music has the power to transport us away from stressful situations. Unfortunately, despite once being one of my favourite pieces of classical music, Four Seasons has been ruined for me since it's frequently used as hold music. Listening to the same piece of music in plinky, plonky muzak format'll do that to you! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're not wrong about muzak. Even so, just to listen to such music in its "unadulterated" form will still do the trick.

      Delete

I'd like to hear from you so please feel free to comment. Sorry, no anonymous comments.