Wednesday 15 April 2015

M: Our beautiful neighbour


We're half-way through the A to Z Challenge. If you've been keeping me company since the letter A, thank you and well done. If you've only just shown up, you really don't know what you've been missing. Just a reminder you can follow by email or by signing up, there are buttons to do both at the right-hand side. Also I do like comments, leave them below.

So, today's reason to be cheerful features in poems, songs and plays and is sometimes accused of driving people a little potty.

Yes, M is for moon, the earth's natural satellite. A few people have actually made it to the moon - I will have no truck with those who think the moon landings were some sort of stunt - but the rest of us can only admire from afar.

Buzz Aldrin on the moon, 1969.


And what a beautiful neighbour we have. It is no surprise to me that in ancient times some people felt the need to worship the moon.

While I wouldn't go that far, I would admit to having fallen under the enchantment that moonlight creates. To walk in the olive grove here or anywhere where street lights will not intrude and to have moonlight as your only illumination is a magical experience.

While some see a face in the appearance of the full moon, I'm with the school of thought that sees a hare or rabbit up there. You have to turn your neck slightly, but it's definitely there.

As I said at the beginning the moon features in many songs, so which one to choose to end this post? After much hunting around I chose Billie Holiday singing Blue Moon. More moonlit magic.



  • Question: What's the most magical thing you've ever done in the moonlight? Tell me in the comments section.


* Moon photograph by NASA [Public domain], via Wikimedia Commons

9 comments:

  1. The moon reflected on the sea is quite magical, but I usually miss seeing it. Having followed the moon landing on the radio at the time, I cannot understand how other views about it can have arisen. AtoZing @ Sue’s Trifles

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The moon reflected on the sea is indeed quite magical. Maybe having to be in the right place at the right time makes it a bit more special.

      Delete
  2. Jim Irwin, the eighth person to walk on the moon, took this poem with him, which I love. This follows on from your poetry (Keats) post. See, I have been paying attention!

    High Flight by John Gillespie Maggee, Jr (American aviator and poet who died as a result of a mid-air collision over Lincolnshire during World War II)

    "Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
    And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;
    Sunward I’ve climbed, and joined the tumbling mirth
    of sun-split clouds, — and done a hundred things
    You have not dreamed of — wheeled and soared and swung
    High in the sunlit silence. Hov’ring there,
    I’ve chased the shouting wind along, and flung
    My eager craft through footless halls of air….
    Up, up the long, delirious, burning blue
    I’ve topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace.
    Where never lark, or even eagle flew —
    And, while with silent, lifting mind I’ve trod
    The high untrespassed sanctity of space,
    - Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.“

    As for "what's the most magical thing you've ever done in the moonlight?", I remember a summer barbecue with friends on the beach when I was about 18. It was a full moon, the fire was dying down and we all spontaneously started dancing to the moon. It was heavenly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have never doubted your assiduous reading of this blog. That poem is lovely, isn't it. I think if I ever made it to the moon I'd take a pasty to eat while I was there. (I know this would be impossible, but...). And dancing in the moon, well, there's tons of songs about that.

      Delete
  3. sadly not able to post a poem but yes - walking in an olive grove in moonlight must be fantastic - hmm still working on that one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe the hero of your novella could become a poet as well as an artist.

      Delete
  4. I love the moon! When I let the dogs out at night, I turn out the flood light, sit in one of the comfortable chairs and just gaze up into the sky. I'm mesmerized by the moon. I can sit there for hours, especially when it's a full moon. It helps me tap into my creativity. And I really adore when I can see the moon in the daytime. I just saw it last week and it had me captivated until I was out of sight of it.
    And the magnificent Billie Holiday: great music choice!
    Michele at Angels Bark

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just this winter, I woke up in the night and just happened to glanced out a kitchen window while I filled a glass of water...the moon was reflecting off of the snow and illuminating the five deer that had stopped in to dig out my holly bushes. I stayed up watching them pluck around in the snow... it was a beautiful moment.
    @Get Lost in Lit

    ReplyDelete
  6. The most magical thing? I'm not sure...but it is funny how much a role the moon plays in life.

    Thank you for the reminder that the challenge is halfway over. I pre-wrote all my posts and I was still thinking today, replying to all these comments and reading all these blogs is wearing me out. I usually only post on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays!

    ReplyDelete

I'd like to hear from you so please feel free to comment. Sorry, no anonymous comments.