Friday 3 April 2015

C: Ooh matron! I can see your double entendre



This reason to be cheerful is almost certain to have some people feeling exactly the reverse, but my blog, my rules etc etc and any film franchise that can come up with the line "Infamy, infamy, they've all got it in for me" can get away with a lot.

Yes, I'm talking about Carry On films, a uniquely British comedy institution which made dozens of films taking their inspiration from music hall and bawdy seaside postcards.

Why do I, a man known for his artistic sensibilities, like Carry On? Well, they make me snigger. This is different to roll around on the floor laughing. Sniggering is something teenagers do when an otherwise innocent phrase strikes them as having a rude meaning. Those of you who have seen any of the 31 Carry On films will know that is the basic method of getting a laugh. Those of you who haven't seen any of the films please don't worry, I've not given away any major secret.

I was probably still a child when I saw my first Carry On film and I still like watching them now I'm a grandparent. I think that should tell you something about the nature of the jokes in the films, which were all called Carry On and then a word appropriate to the content. So after Carry On we got words including Doctor, Camping, Screaming, Nurse, and, one of my personal favourites, Up The Khyber.

The films, which were made for a pittance, featured the same cast over and over again and in some senses they played the same roles over and over again. What is more, you can see the jokes coming from a mile away, but no matter there is still something strangely innocent about them and they cheer me up.

There are numerous jokes so bad they're good that could be quoted from Carry On films, but this will always remain one of my favourites.The line is from Carry On Cleo and is uttered by the late and great Kenneth Williams.



As to music to go with this, well, it's proved a little difficult. I've chosen Carry On Wayward Son by Kansas. This, by the way, was not the title of one of the Carry On films. The video is worth watching if only because it will make you wonder whether Spinal Tap was such a spoof, after all.




  • Question: Do you like watching Carry On films or would you sooner be repeatedly slapped round the face with a piece of wet cod? I suppose it's possible some of you have never even seen one of the films, if so, it's time to give yourself a treat.



17 comments:

  1. Hi Mark - I used to love the Carry On films ... and their quips were quite ridiculous .. but very clever play on words ... and no don't wave your wet cod at me ... fun - and I expect the grandchildren love them too - they're so brilliantly ridiculous. Cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't worry, the wet cod is back in the fridge.

      Delete
  2. In the spirit of sniggering, love this Carry On snippet: Doctor with stethoscope: Big breaths. Patient: Yeth, and I'm only thixteen. I also love the scene in Carry On Up The Khyber when as the battle rages around them, they all sit around the table eating lunch as if nothing is happening.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Having grown up in a small seaside town I remember that joke from postcards, too. Also one which had the punchline "No, nurse, I said prick his boil". I'll leave you to work out the full joke.
      Doesn't Sid James play Sir Sidney Rough-Diamond in Carry On Up The Khyber?

      Delete
  3. I am so going to check these out! These sound right up my alley (wink wink nudge nudge).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you like wink, wink, nudge, nudge, then Carry On films are for you. Once you seen a couple you'll be able to forecast when and where the jokes are coming, but they're still fun.

      Delete
  4. I haven't seen any Carry on films. I haven't been much of a movie person before now. After Richard died I have filled in some time watching movies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even I admit that Carry On films are not to everyone's taste. My wife can't stand them, but you never know...

      Delete
  5. when I was about 7 these seemed to be the funniest films ever - it would be good to rewatch to see what I thought of them now..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For seven-year-olds these probably are the funniest films ever. Quite what it means if you're still laughing at them several decades on is hard to say. Innocence has been maintained, maybe?

      Delete
  6. The Carry On movies with Sid James & Co. were great entertainment. I loved them all, but had forgotten about them until I read your post. So, thanks for the memory.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you can get quite a few Carry On films on YouTube. They are ideal rainy afternoon viewing.

      Delete
  7. First I've ever heard of Carry On films, guess I've been under a rock. Carry on my wayward son I've heard countless times though, as Supernatural uses it a lot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure that the Carry On films ever had much of an international audience, but I could be wrong.

      Delete
  8. I will readily admit that, until this post, I'd never heard of the Carry On films. Since I like sniggering, I will have to check it out. I am guessing that sniggering is not quite the same think as snickering. Nevertheless, I could use some dose of silliness in my life from some other source than myself. People tend to look at me funny when I laugh for seemingly no reason and I say, Oh this hilarious thought just came into my head. But I digress...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As I said in the comment above, I don't think the Carry On films every really travelled well for audiences outside the UK. Humour has surprisingly national boundaries sometimes. As for snickering, my Chambers English Dictionary says snickering is also sniggering. It also says that to snicker is "to nicker or neigh" or "to say gigglingly". I think those are all definitely responses for Carry On films.

      Delete
  9. I say, I say, I say...

    Q. How many Carry On films have you seen?

    A. Phwoar

    ReplyDelete

I'd like to hear from you so please feel free to comment. Sorry, no anonymous comments.