Monday 26 January 2015

Merkel unmoved by Syriza triumph

What, you say, after all those warnings of dire consequences should Syriza win in Greece and Merkel is unfazed by this key moment in modern European history?

Absolutely. In fact, I happen to know she ate a hearty breakfast and then went for a little nap. AND I have photographic evidence, which I present below.

Merkel enjoys her breakfast.

Yes, what a laugh, I've been pulling your leg. The Merkel I'm talking about is the cat who lives on the land here. Named by our landlord several years ago, Merkel has little in common with the German Chancellor who I suspect might not have such a good appetite for breakfast this morning.

And really, that's about as much as I can tell you about yesterday's election. Syriza won as expected, but fell just short of an overall majority so Alexis Tsipras will now have to find a partner, or partners, in what promises to be interesting times for us all.

I hope all goes well for Greece, and for the rest of Europe, actually, and I hope I don't sound too much like Eeyore when I urge people not to get their hopes too high, it's just I have an innate distrust of politicians and their capabilities. I have felt optimism at election results before and then been bitterly disappointed.

Oh dear, that does sound so gloomy, doesn't it? I think I'll have another cup of coffee and go talk to Merkel for a while.

Today's music rather reflects my scepticism and is most likely to resonate with Brits with a reasonable knowledge of their country's political history. So here we have it, Things can only get better by D:Ream.





No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd like to hear from you so please feel free to comment. Sorry, no anonymous comments.