Friday 23 January 2015

Get your vote, you've polled

What a load of ballots. For attribution, see below.


Less than 48 hours to go and Greeks get to go to the polls to elect a new parliament. It's not for me to call it as to who will win. I'd like to think the winners will be the Greek people because they vote in an effective government capable of restoring hope to this lovely, but decidedly careworn, country.

We are told there's a lot riding on the outcome of Sunday's vote, not least Greece's future in the European Union and membership of the Eurozone, While I believe that voting in elections is probably the best shot most people have at influencing the future of their country, part of me also believes that ultimately none of it makes much difference. In a world where money knows no boundaries and seems to have no limits to its power, what chance do voters have?

Cynicism is corrosive, but we all need a bit of scepticism to safeguard us from the effects of pinning too much hope on the blandishments of politicians seeking our cross next to their names on the ballot paper. Politics is sometimes described as the art of the possible, to which a sceptic might add that it is the art of politicians finding out what it's possible for them to get away with.

Anyway, until such time as we come up with a better system for choosing governments the humble act of voting will have to suffice. Greece, I wish you good luck on Sunday, I think you're going to need it.

I was torn as to which piece of music I would choose to accompany this post. Alice Cooper's Elected seemed an obvious option and I was taken with the Bonzo Dog Band's No matter who you vote for, the government always gets in. However, in the end I opted for the song below as it at least urges people to vote, albeit with a degree of care.



* Ballot box photo by Rama (Own work) [CC BY-SA 2.0 fr (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/2.0/fr/deed.en)], via Wikimedia Commons

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd like to hear from you so please feel free to comment. Sorry, no anonymous comments.