Saturday 18 May 2013

I blog, therefore I am

I've been a bit quiet on the blogging front recently and this is for no more sinister reason than that I am a lazy arse who can almost always find something else to do other than what I'd set out to do a couple of minutes before.

So the usual thought process when it comes to writing a blog posting goes something like this: "Shall I write something for my blog? Yes." Then: "Hold on a minute, I'll just look in this cookery book for a nice recipe for tonight's dinner." Or: "Why don't I wander round with the dog for a while in case she needs a pee before I sit down in front of a keyboard." Or even (to my significant other): "Shall we just nip into town for a frappé?"

Be that as it may, I'm still around and still coming up with the insights that can leave lesser mortals questioning  the validity of their existence. One such insight is "Who on earth am I writing for in any case?" Actually, that's not an insight, it's a rather vapid question, but let's not get bogged down in details. The answer to that question is, of course, I'm writing for you, and you, and you, and you and anyone else who cares to pass by. And possibly most disturbingly of all I'm writing for me, yes ME. And why not?

Many moons ago, and in a past life, I used to work for a man whose favourite phrase to employees seemed to be: "If you don't like it, you can fuck off." I found it to be a dispiriting attitude, but time has passed and I bear this particular ex-boss no ill will, he was what he was. However, sometimes when I write this blog I recall his less than motivational phrase and think "actually readers if what I write is not to your taste well, you know what you can do". You see how naturally I adopt a more polite approach.

But actually what I would much prefer from those of you who dislike what I write, or those of you who enjoy it, is to respond, reply, participate, take part, follow by email. Talk to me, tell me what you would like to see here. I may follow your suggestions or I may follow the line of my former boss and tell you to Foxtrot Oscar, but that's a risk you'll just have to take. After all what have you got to lose and, if you're as feckless as me, you probably won't even give a toss in any case. In the blogosphere, no one can hear you scream.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd like to hear from you so please feel free to comment. Sorry, no anonymous comments.